每日一句 Daily English

2008年7月17日星期四

英语缺词填空专项测试

(1)
At different times in a man's life his food has different effects (影响) on his body. Among children f 1 is quickly changed to the power(力量) to run and play games. Most of a young man's food is spent on growing t 2 ; We grow upwards only d 3 the first twenty years of our l 4 , not later. Working men get their strong bodies from their food; and if they work h 5 , they do not get fat. Office workers eat well and s 6 down a lot, and may begin to grow fat when s 7 quite young. Many older people t 8 to work much and walk often. P 9 the most difficult time is when a man r 10 sixty years of age. His body and mind b 11 restful, without much work or interest. That is when food changes quickly to f 12 .
(1)1.food 2. tall 3. during 4. lives 5. hard 6. sit 7. still 8. try 9. Perhaps 10. reaches
11. become 12. fat

(2)
Bats(蝙蝠) are the only flying "animals" in the world. It is k 1 to all that they cannot see very well. "As b 2 as a bat" is often heard. Yet, they have no t 3 flying on the darkest nights and f 4 their way round very well. Why can bats fly and see at night? They fly b 5 "radar(雷达)". The bat's radar w 6 the same way as the radar on ships and planes. As a bat flies t 7 the air, it makes a sound. If the sounds hit t 8 , they will come back and the bat's ears will r 9 the message. In this way, the bat is a 10 to know where the things are. Bats go out for f 11 at night. In the daytime, they hang in some d 12 places.
1.known 2. blind 3.trouble 4. finding 5.by 6.works
7. through 8.things 9. reaches 10. able 11. food 12. dark
(3)
Tennis is in its second life. Its first game b 1 in France. The name of the game comes from the French word "tennez". The English men c 2 the game "tennis" when they watched the Frenchmen play 800 years ago.
The Englishmen liked the French game. Tennis courts were built in every park, in every city,
just l 3 today. The two countries played a 4 each other. At first they played for honor. Then they w 5 money. Later people began cheating(欺骗)to get money. Three
hundred years ago the game was forbidden(禁止)to stop the cheating. The game a 6 disappeared. Americans found the old courts when they went to Europe 100 years ago. They learned w 7 they could do about the game. They liked the game as the Englishmen had
b 8 . After returning home, the Americans built tennis courts. Tennis began to become
p 9 in all the United States. Now it is one of the most e 10 games in the world again.
1. began 2. called 3. like 4. against 5. won
6. almost 7. what 8. before 9. popular 10. exciting
(4)
There are four people in my family. Every day my parents are very busy t 1 to make money in order to pay the high tuition(学费)for my brother and me. They h 2 say "I love you" or send f 3 to each other. Besides,my father has a bad temper(脾气). It is easy for him to lose his temper w 4 he's very tired from the hard work. I didn't know whether there was love between them u 5 one spring. At that time,my father suddenly got badly sick .My mother had to stay with him in the hospital for a month. When they returned from the hospital, they both looked very w 6 as if both of them had a serious illness.
After they were back, my mother helped my father walk slowly on the country road every day in the morning and dusk. H 7 after two months my father still couldn't walk by h 8 . All of us were worried about him.
"Dad,how are you f 9 now?" I asked him one day.
"Susan, don't worry about me." he said I 10 a low voice. "I just like walking with your mom. I like this kind of life." Reading his eyes, I know he loves my mother very much.
Once I thought love m 11 flowers, presents and sweet kisses. But from this e 12 , I understand that love is inside, making life strong and warm.
1. trying 2. hardly 3. flowers 4. when 5. until 6. weak
7. However 8. himself 9. feeling 10. in 11. meant 12. experience
(5)
A woman was eating in a restaurant. She asked the waiter to do many t 1 for her. Now she was g 2 the waiter a lot of trouble. F 3 , she asked the waiter to turn on the air conditioner because she f 4 too hot. Then she asked him to turn it o 5 because she was too cold. This went on and on for n 6 half an hour.
But the waiter was very kind and h 7 . He did everything the woman asked h 8 to do without getting angry. F 9 , someone else in the restaurant asked why the w 10 didn't just throw the woman out. "Oh, I don't care." The waiter said and smiling, "We don't even have an air conditioner."
1. things 2. giving 3. first 4. felt 5. turn 6. nearly 7. helpful 8.him 9. finally 10. waiter
(6)
Ask people to name a safe place and most will say "Home". But every year the British Government's survey shows that home can be a d 1 place. Last year 7 British citizens(公民) died while p 2 up their Christmas decorations (装饰). Over 1,600 needed m 3 help after falling off their chairs. And 70 people had fatal (致死的) a 4 while lying in bed. It is safe to say that n 5 activity is without danger.
Some of these accidents are just the risks (冒险) of modern living. We prefer to risk having a washing machine that might hurt us rather than be safe spending hours cleaning our clothes by
h 6 . But most fatal accidents are not the r 7 of mechanical (机械的) failure. The two most common are falling down the stairs and going to s 9 in the bath. This s that we are in a more dangerous situation when we feel s 10 .
1. dangerous 2. putting 3. medical 4. accidents 5. no
6. hand 7. result 8. swim 9. show 10. safe
(7)
International organizations are founded to h 1 the children. These p 2 children's lives were changed b 3 of Europe war at that time. Now, UNICEF works all over the
world. It p 4 clean water, food and e 5 for children in many countries. It wants children to be h 6 and to go to school. It collects money by s 7 Christmas cards and organizing other activities. It helps governments and families to make the world a better place for children. All children should go to school i 8 of working to keep their families. They should be helped when they are in t 9 . They should a 10 be treated with kindness.
1. help 2. poor 3. because 4. provides 5. education
6. healthy 7. sending 8. instead 9. trouble 10. also/always
(8)
Someone says, "Time is money." But I think time is m 1 important than money. Why? Because when money is s 2 , we can get it back. H 3 , when time is gone, it'll never r 4 . That is why we mustn't w 5 time.
It goes without saying that time is u 6 limited (有限的). Even a second is very important. We should make full use of our time to do s 7 useful.
But it is a pity that there are a lot of people who do not know the i 8 of time. They spent their limited time smoking, drinking and p 9 . They do not know that wasting time means wasting part of their own l 10 .
In a word, we should save time. We shouldn't l 11 today's work for tomorrow.
Remember we have no time to l 12 .
1. more 2. spent 3. However 4. return 5.waste 6. usually
7. something 8. importance 9. playing 10. life 11. leave 12. lose (9)
We have been in Australia for three days. We're having a g 1 time here. Australia is the sixth largest country in the world. There is so much to see that it is i 2 for me to tell you everything. Sydney is a beautiful city. There are many big trees and beautiful flowers
a 3 the houses and they l 4 really beautiful. There are also some special a 5 in Australia, such as kangaroos and koalas. They are really lovely.
During the past three days we've visited many places of i 6 around Sydney. I'd like to spend more time here. But we will f 7 to another city, Cairns, to see coral beds (珊瑚礁) tomorrow. It is said that words cannot d 8 the beauty of the colourful corals. Many famous cartoon films were made there. Now we are b 9 packing our bags so that we will not lose time when we leave. We can enjoy o 10 in Cairns this time tomorrow, I'm looking forward to going there!
1.good/great 2. impossible 3.trees 4.look 5.animals
6.places 7.fly 8.describe 9.busy 10.ourselves
(10)
M: Would you please tell me what you were doing when the accident happened and what you saw?
W: Yes, I was d 1 home from work. It was about 5:15, and there was a blue car in front of me.
We were both driving along Harbor Road w 2 a small white Ford suddenly shot out of the side road. It shot right in front of the blue car. The driver tried to stop, but it was impossible. He r 3 into the white Ford.
M: What's the s 4 of the car in front of you when the accident happened?
W: You mean the blue car? Well, thirty miles an hour. Of course no m 5 than that.
M: And the white Ford shot out without any warning?
W: Yes, that's right.
M: How can you make s 6 that the blue car was only doing thirty?
W: Because I was only doing thirty, and the blue car wasn't going any f 7 than I was.
M: Are you sure of that? Absolutely positive(肯定)?
W: Yes, I a 8 . I'm positive.
M: How can you be so positive? Were you looking at your speed-metre when the accident happened?
W: Of course not. I was looking at the road ahead. That's how I managed to see the accident.
M: Well, if you were not looking at your speed-metre, how can you p 9 be sure how fast you were going?
W: Because I never go faster than 30 on that road, or it's a 10 law
1. driving 2. when 3. ran 3. speed 4. more
6. sure 7. faster 8.am 9.possibly10. against
(11)
The most important drink is water. Not many people understand this but it is quite t 1 . People can l 2 for a long time without food, but they will die if two or three days
w 3 water. In h 4 weather, many people do not drink e 5 water, because they don't know how much water they n 6 . After t 7 exercise, people need more water.
The water in the man's body is m 8 more than other matters(物质). We'd b 9 have enough water, or we may get ill.
Water is n 10 to all the living things. "There will be no l 11 if there is no water."
So we must save water and don't w 12 water.
1.true 2. live 3.without 4.hot 5.enough 6.need
7.taking 8.much 9.better 10.necessary 11. life 12. waste

(12)
Maybe you are more interested in sports than in history. You probably think you will never be a t 1 student. In f 2 , anyone can become a better student if he or she wants to. If you can use your time well, you may improve your study w 3 much work. Here's how:
Plan your time carefully. When you plan your week time, you should make a l 4 of things that you have to do. First write down the time for eating, sleeping, dressing, etc. Then decide on a good time for studying. Of course, studying shouldn't take all of your time. Don't forget to leave y 5 enough time for hobbies.
Find a good place to study. Look around the house for a good study place. Keep this space, which may be a desk o 6 just a corner of your room. No games, radio, or television! When you sit down to work, think o 7 about the subject!
Make good use of your time in class. Listen c 8 to what the teacher says. Careful listening in class m 9 less work later. You also need to take notes in class, because it can m it easier for you to learn well.
There are only a few ways mentioned here to h 10 you with your studying. I believe you find many other ways besides these.

1. top 2. fact 3. without 4. 1ist 5. yourselves
6.or 7. only 8. carefully 9. make 10. help
(13)
Life is not easy, so I'd like to say " When anything happens, believe in yourself."
When I was 14, I was too nervous to talk to anyone . My classmate often l 1 at me. I was sad but could do nothing. Later, something happened. It changed my life. It was an English contest. My mother asked me to take part in it . What a t 2 idea! It meant I had to s 3 in front of all the teachers and students of my school!
"Come on , boy. Believe in yourself. You are sure to w 4 ." Then, Mother and I talked about many different topics. At last I c 5 the topic "Believe in yourself". I tried my best to remember all the speech and practice it o 6 100 times. W 7 my mother's great love, I did well in my contest. I could h 8 believe my ears when the news came that I had won the first place. I heard the c 9 from the teachers and students. Those classmates who
o 10 looked down on me, now all said "Congratulations!" to me. My mother hugged me and cried e 11 .
S 12 then, everything has changed for me. When I do anything, I try to tell myself to be sure and I will find myself. This is true not only for a person but also for a country.

1. laugh 2. terrible 3. stand 4. win 5. chose 6. over
7. With 8. hardly 9. cheers 10. once 11. excitedly 12. Since


(14)
It seems to us that the earth stand quite still (静止的). But it is really m 1 all the time. It turns around a make-believe(虚假的) line t 2 its center. We call this make-believe line the earth's axis (地轴). The two e 3 of the earth's axis are called its poles (极). The earth travels twenty-four hours around its axis o 4 .
We look at the sun and say it "travels" a 5 the sky, but the sun doesn't really do
S 6 . The turning of the earth makes us f 7 as if the sun were moving across the sky. We can't see that the earth is moving because everything e 8 on the earth is turning with us. As the earth turns around every twenty-four hours, first one half f 9 the sun and then the other half. When our half of the earth is facing the sun, we say it is "day". When our half is
a 10 from the sun, we say it is "night". It is the turning of the earth that tells us when to go to bed and when to get up.
1. moving 2. through 3. ends 4. once 5. across
6. so 7. feel 8. else 9. faces 10. away
(15)
When this story happened , they were working around a very large house. Their job was to do the c 1 . It was not a difficult job, but sometimes it was a little d 2 , because they had to work below where workmen were working. Often these workmen d 3 something from the top of the house many meters high to the ground. One morning Joe was working near the house with a cigarette behind one of his ears. Suddenly somebody on the t 4 shouted, "Look out!" But Joe did not "look out". He looked up. And as he did s 5 , a long knife missed Joe's head, but it cut o 6 one of his ears. At once he put his hand to one side of his head and cried out, "I've lost an ear. Help! Help!" Jeff ran up to help his friend. "Look for my ear," Joe told him. "It must be on the ground s 7 ." Jeff looked everywhere for the m 8 ear. At last he found an ear on the ground. He picked it up and c 9 it to Joe. "Here you are," he said, "I've found it." Joe looked at it. "No, that's not my ear." he said, "Mine had a cigarette
b 10 it."
1. cleaning 2. dangerous 3. dropped 4. top 5. so
6. off 7. somewhere 8. missing 9. carried 10. behind

没有评论: